Monday, March 8, 2010

The pros and cons of technology

Last night's opening session had two of the three speakers talking about the ways in which we can use technology to serve our larger, Jewish (and Rabbinic) missions. There was a lot to learn from the talks, but I couldn't help but notice an irony - during the majority of the presentation, I was surrounded by people who were constantly tapping away on iPhones, Blackberries, Droids and more.

I'm certainly no technophobe, but it was yet another reminder to me of the downside of all of this technology. If we're going to complain when our members use their gadgets during board meetings and (!) services, then shouldn't we, at least, be committed to that same discipline?

Sorry to be a nag, but I just couldn't help but notice it!

2 comments:

  1. or...on the upside...they were taking notes, sharing the presentation with others, and bringing the technology INTO it, instead of having the technology take them OUT of it.

    i know for me, i can tell when someone is "leaving" by using their device vs "engaging" by using their device.

    whaddaya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis, I think that you're an incredibly kind, generous soul. I'm a bit more cynical. I believe that SOME people were doing just what you say. But, I'd bet, without anything to actually back up this contention, that more of them were checking work e-mail, updating their Facebook statuses or trying to get someone to loan them a gun for "Mafia Wars." Maybe I'm TOO cynical...

    ReplyDelete